The age of the player plays a very important role where coaching is concern as it takes time to train a young child, so he/she can become an expert by practicing all the fundamentals. It is important to select the right Softball Drills for 8u for teaching critical skills and enhancing the confidence level of players.
Therefore, you must select the drills that have an approach of back to basics that can prove best in reinforcing suitable mechanics among players.
Coaching also includes elimination of bad habits, so the coach must understand to give enough opportunity to the players to build new good habits by practicing following four detailed tutorials softball drills for 8u.
Here are the top 4 highly recommended softball drills for 8u in no particular order:
The Star Drill
The star drill which is one of best Softball Drills for 8u starts by:
- Positioning five players at different field positions that starts with the first field position of the catcher who throws the ball to the short top.
- Focusing on perfect throws that must be straight with the glove is important
- The player must step forward towards the main target for making strong catches.
- The second position and first base that must be repeated
- The remaining fields of third, second and throwing home becomes the part of complete drill.
Softball Drills for 8u: Relay Races
1) The relay race consists of eight players who line up in two rows where the first row is the base line and the other with pitcher mound.
2) In the first line, the player throws the ball towards the second player, where the second throws the ball to the third player and it continues in sequence from third to fourth.
3) Now the fourth player throw back the ball to the third player and then it comes with a series from third to second and second to home.
4) The main goal of this drill is to make the ball through the right sequence without dropping it.
5) The player who gets back to the first file becomes the winner of the game.
Windmill Pitching for Beginners Drills
Windmill pitching drill helps in working on the muscle memory of the player which indicates that the player does not need to think practicing creating circle while practicing in open door position.
It is one of exceptional Softball Drills for 8u where putting the drills in the players’ subconscious mind should be the fundamental step in regards to bringing back the player’s arm and shooting through the ball.
There are total four drills including the wrist snap, focusing muscles, a half circles and then full circle.
- The pitcher must practice the hitting drills with the glove against the wall for 3-4 weeks, without a catcher.
- The coach must determine that the player is practicing the drill until she/he got the skill.
- It is the responsibility of the coach to raise the momentum of the young player and snapping it at his/her hip.
Four Corner Catch & Throw Drill
One of the youth softball drills is a multi-skill defensive approach of teaching several skills to students by focusing on same drill.
Experts recommend using regular flat mitts for doing the drill. Because the set up starts with setting four players standing 20’ far from each other in square shape.
- The execution of drill starts by going clockwise through underhand of ball to the next player. So that the player can trap the ball by keeping it between the throwing hand and back mitt.
- Then the process continues, and the coach puts the ball in the middle, so the player can practice the same drill.
- There should be no faster performance towards the other box that the players are competing with.
- You can add a 3rd “outer” box and the coach can let other player do sit-ups and push ups or even practice more drills.
Softball Drills for 8u: Bowl of Soup
It becomes important for the player to understand and better implementing fielding when they start playing.
The comprehensive Bowl of soup comes fourth in list of Softball Drills for 8u:
- The player starts the training indoor drills and outdoor drills with being in the athletic position by slightly bending the hips in the leg.
- Staying in the balanced position for moving left, right and forward while drawing triangle on the ground by focusing on the triangle’s tip.
- Heading down, glove down and bottom down are the main elements of the drill.
- The player then gets back and straight with keeping the back rounded shaped and legs straight at a moment when ball comes closer to feet.
- The body follows the head and pulling up the head means the player has to pull up the glove.
- Keeping the palm up while facing the ground ball, the player has to receive the ball.
- Fielding starts from ground up and paying close focus to the players by ensuring that they are not practicing glove flip for catching the ball.
- Keeping the palms open is necessary while you are bare hand and closing over the top closer on the catch for receiving the ball.
- After receiving the ball, the player must take the uncovered hand and glove in the throwing position.
- The player should not bring the bare hand in Bowl of Soup as she/he will be closing off his body’s front side by going in a good position for throwing the ball.
Final thoughts: Things to take note.
Speeding up the softball practice drills once every few rounds is necessary to examine the flexibility and speed of the player around the field without making any error during all the four Softball Drills for 8u.
The Star Drill is best for beginning any training with children. There is no set aim for the Windmill Pitching for Beginners Drills, so the player has to remain relax for throwing the ball in any direction.
Instructing the players about the last techniques of Windmill Pitching for Beginners Drills will help the player understand where they lose the technique and what to do when they get in trouble.
Avoiding drops while practicing the four Corner Catch & Throw Drill and shaping the players in lower position without coming up while the player practice back hand flips is necessary. Lower position helps to increase better focus and faster performance.
It becomes important for the player to better understand and implement fielding when they start playing and Bowl of Soup is best drill for gradual progression.
Softball lovers, be sure to leave a like on this article if you enjoyed and learn something from it. Do us a favor, if you think anyone you know might benefit from our article, be sure to share it with them.
The post Softball Drills for 8u (Top 4 highly recommended drills) appeared first on Awesome Softball Drills.